Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Vegetarian Split Pea Marsala Soup!!

To me, Peas and Marsala Wine just make sense as a flavor pairing, they're both sweet, earthy and delicious! I love making risotto with marsala wine and peas...so when I wanted to add something different and special to bring the flavors of my pea soup alive, marsala wine was my immediate go to!

I have said in earlier posts, I eat soup almost everyday for lunch during the school year. Therefore, I am constantly trying to come up with new ideas and fresh spins on the classics. This recipe is sure to please and sooooo easy to make! Enjoy! XO Jessica


Vegetarian Split Pea Marsala Soup

INGREDIENTS:
  • 16 ounce bag of dried split peas
  • 2 medium carrots, chopped
  • 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2-3 stalks celery, finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
  • 7 cups organic vegetable broth
  • 1 cup marsala wine 
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • extra virgin olive oil
P.S.  I used 7 ounces of pre-cut diced Mirepoix Mix (carrot, celery, onion) that I purchased in the produce section of my supermarket.  I love how finely it is chopped and it makes the preparation process of this recipe effortless. 

PROCESS:
  1. Drizzle olive oil in a medium to large soup pot -- bring the heat up to high.  Add onion, celery, carrots, garlic, salt and pepper.  SautĂ© until translucent.
  2. Wash and sort the split peas.
  3. Add split peas, marsala wine and vegetable broth.
  4. Add all the herbs and red pepper flakes
  5. Stir and bring to a boil.  Once boiling lower heat all the way down to the lowest setting and simmer for 2.5 hours.
  6. At approximately 2 hours blend the soup with an immersion blender. (If you do not have an immersion blender ladle 2-4 cups into your blender.  Blend and add back to soup pot. Simmer the remaining 30 minutes. (the longer the better)
  7. Add fresh parsley, cracked pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Serve warm.
  8. Remaining soup can be frozen in individual servings in the freezer for up to 3 months to retain freshness of flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment